Wednesday, July 6, 2016

the acre house

We are finishing up some projects on our new house, but I wanted to share some of the background story to it today. In the spring of 2015, Austen and I had been playing online looking for a home, without much luck. We only had until July to buy a home, or we would have to wait until September 2016 due to the fact that I was changing school districts for the sake of the loan company. There were a handful of homes that we really liked, one or two that we absolutely loved, but everything had multiple offers in by the time we looked into making an offer. We were learning that if we even thought we wanted a home, we had to act immediately. It was a buyers market.

I had been randomly looking online one evening in May 2015 when I found our home. I showed it to Austen, who also liked it, so we called his grandmother who is a real estate agent in Texas. She contacted the seller's agent who said it was available without any offers, so she stayed up late writing our offer to put it in the next morning. Within 24 hours, the seller had both our offer and another. It took a few days, but I remember being at school the Friday before Memorial Day when Austen called to say we got the house.

In case you didn't catch that, we were new owners of a house we had never seen in person. Absolutely crazy. I was flying back that night for the long weekend, so I was able to see it on Saturday morning with both of our families. I called Austen saying that was the best gamble of our lives, because it was perfect for us.

It took a little over a month to close on it due to some different obstacles that were unexpected on the seller's part, but by the end of July it was officially ours.

When I did our first walk through, I snapped some pictures of it before we ever did anything to it. They're old iPhone pics, but you can get the jist of the place from them.
















The previous owners had a small food truck business, so whenever they were in town their workers stayed at the house. Thus the air mattresses in odd places (like the kitchen?) and strange furniture pieces. There had also been a tornado a week or two prior to us buying the house which damaged the covered patio, so the seller was in the process of having the tin roof for the patio redone. It is so lovely with it up!

Our sweet little acre house. We have been excited for the past year to move + settle in and make it our home. To put some roots down, plant flowers and a garden, to make some beautiful memories in this place with our family and friends. I can't wait to continue working on this house and share with all ya'll the progress! 

But first, back to painting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all ya'lls comments! I will try to either respond to your comment via the post or in email to ((hopefully)) create a more personal conversation.

xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...