Wednesday, January 27, 2016

essential oils, a year later


It's been over a year since we started using essential oils in our home, and I'm amazed at the change we've made in that short amount of time. In the past few years, we've been really conscious of what we put into our bodies, so it was a natural progression to be conscious about what we put on our bodies. My goal by the end of 2015 was to have a chemical free home, and aside from a few areas (cough cough - anthro candles) we have really made such a huge improvement towards that goal!

We love love love to diffuse in our home. Some of our favorites in the family room area include thieves, purification, and the allergy bomb (lavender + peppermint + lemon). In Sophia's nursery, she loves lavender, cedarwood, gentle baby, and rc. Our room is typically purification, thieves, or peace & calming.

When it comes to using essential oils topically, we apply them to our feet most often. Sophia is my little lavender baby. She also gets a combo of thieves + rc + lavender, all heavily diluted, on her feet before bedtime. Austen & I love the allergy bomb on our forearms, and emotional oils to promote well being on the back of our necks. Our favorite is valor, but I also love peace & calming and stress away.

If our skin is the biggest organ of our bodies, then it makes sense that we absorb everything we touch, including cleaners. So we made the switch to using thieves cleaner for surfaces and thieves laundry soap. I began using art's gentle cleanser for my face as well. We checked all of our household products in the "think dirty" app and whatever got poor ratings, we switched. Not everything became a Young Living brand name, as there are other great alternatives out there. We love honest co., and burt's bees for Sophia. Jāsön brand has a lot of good options for bath products (+ tea tree oil shampoo and conditioner for my teacher friends out there! ain't nobody got time for lice.). Wool dryer balls in replacement of dryer sheets are also fantastic. A couple of drops of essential oil (or plain) and they leave the laundry smelling fabulous, and dried faster than without. I love to toss them in with a quilt, so they smell fresh, the dog hair is gone, but the wear and tear of a full wash cycle is avoided.

Being a new momma is overwhelming, but I love knowing there are natural, holistic options for my little family. If this is the change we've seen in a year, I can't wait to see what it'll look like in ten+ years!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all ya'lls comments! I will try to either respond to your comment via the post or in email to ((hopefully)) create a more personal conversation.

xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...