Slider

#webeelate quilting bee

Thursday, May 14, 2015

One thing I love about quilting is the community. I think it has always been a social past time. Back in the day, women quilted together in quilting bees. They helped one another with blocks and the hand quilting. Austen's great-aunt still gets together with a group of friends to quilt together. They have the most beautiful hand quilting. For me, I have two sweet ladies here in Vegas who have taught me different quilting techniques like appliqué and paper piecing.

Instead of having a sit-down quilting bee, Samantha Dorn (@aqua_paisley on instagram) came up with this long distance sort of quilting bee. She created guidelines, the main one being that you have to use Bonnie & Camille for moda fabrics. Of course, those "hives" filled up quickly. But she recently shared her bee hive information, and new hives have been formed!

Each month for 8 total months, I'll be making two 12" blocks for two other ladies in our hive. Each month, I'll receive two blocks from two ladies. Total, I'll end up with 16 blocks (one I make for myself) made from various B&C fabric from around the United States. I love this.

We got our hive assignments on Wednesday and I about squealed all evening long over it. Seriously, I hit the jackpot. There are 15 other insanely talented ladies in this hive! I'm a little intimated, and ridiculously excited.

I want to share each month the two blocks I make for others, and the two that I receive! As a test run, I made a bowtie block using daysail fabrics.


Quilts tell stories. I am so excited to have a sampler quilt made from blocks of various ladies across the country who share a love of the same fabric and hobby. This quilt will tell a lovely story of keeping an old tradition alive, despite miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all ya'lls comments! I will try to either respond to your comment via the post or in email to ((hopefully)) create a more personal conversation.

xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan