Wednesday, September 24, 2014

day 24: autumn bucket list

Day 24: Your fall bucket list. What do you want to do before winter rolls around?

I grew up outside of St. Louis, Missouri for 14 years, and really feel like the midwest has some of the best autumn weather. I'm sure places like Vermont and Maine probably top it, but I just loved the four seasons. 

Nevada? Not so much.

There are, however, some very fun autumn-y things we like to do around the Garrett household! 


go apple picking
Who would have guessed, but Vegas has a you-pick orchard and farm! I'm wanting to go apple picking (and maybe pick a pumpkin or five?) with some friends who have kids. I think it'd be a great Saturday activity, especially once the weather cools off a little bit more. I went last year and this place really does have the best apple cider. Locals, check out Gilcrease Orchard if you've never been!

find Halloween outfits with the second grade team
Oh, Nevada. Our statehood happened on October 31, and since Halloween falls on a Friday this year, we get the day off from school!! That Thursday means we (or at least the teachers) can dress up, and grade levels plan "costumes" together. We have 4 second grade teachers, and are about to get a 5th. Anyone have good costume ideas for 5 women? One who will be very bumpin' by then?

diy Halloween outdoor decorations 
Trick-or-treating on the Air Force base is kind of a big deal. I'm talking there are full-on haunted houses and neighbors partner up to make super scary exteriors. We never do. BUT, teaching on base this year, I'm sure a few kids will figure out which house is mine (yay?). I want to do something that'll be a little more festive than we usually do. I'm thinking some carved pumpkins with glow sticks in them for fun colors, and maybe glow sticks inside of toilet paper rolls with just two eyes cut out. I want to diy a black wreath, too. I'm not a scary kind of Halloween person, more like a boo sort of girl.

perfect my wassail recipe
For anyone who doesn't know, wassail is a spiced, citrusy, apple cider. I love wassail, and have a great recipe! I want to perfect it even more this year, though. It's delicious the way it is, but I want something in it that makes it "my" recipe. I'm planning on starting to make wassail this fall, that way come Christmas, we can have people over and it'll be perfect.

have a chili & wassail party post Homecoming Air Show
Nellis Air Force base, home of the Thunderbirds. Every year, at the end of the Thunderbirds tour season, they have a big air show on base. It's the biggest free public event in Las Vegas (or so I've heard). My sister is coming in town for it this year, so we'll do the air show thing on the flight line first, and then watch the actual show from a balcony. After the show, we're going to have friends over for chili & wassail. It's the second weekend in November, and is usually cold outside by then so something warm while everyone hangs out sounds just about right!

find warm weather shoes
I would say boots, but after a day of standing on my feet, all I really want is something super soft. I might be that person who brings in fuzzy boots to change into at school, especially once I start to get puffy feet. Other teachers are already starting to help me change classroom management techniques so that I'll be walking around less! I think warm, soft shoes are going to be a closet staple, soon enough.

grow the bump!
I feel like for the past week or so, every day my belly grows. It's unreal. I have yet to have a stranger ask if I'm pregnant, but I wore one of my old scoop neck t-shirts from Target the other day (a size small) and oh, teachers noticed the bump! I think I just hide it well, still. I'm excited to get to the point where I definitely look pregnant, though! They say that my pants will stay up better, then. Here's hoping. ;)

1 comment:

  1. I hadmy first baby 7 weeks ago. I definitely understand how you feel about the "awkward bump" phase. It was so hard to find clothes that fit right. Enjoy it..before long nothing will fit at all! :)

    http://emmaplusjake.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love all ya'lls comments! I will try to either respond to your comment via the post or in email to ((hopefully)) create a more personal conversation.

xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...