Friday, September 12, 2014

day 12: favorite christmas traditions

Day 12: Tell us about a favorite tradition. It could be a family tradition or from a holiday, university, you-name-it. What makes it so special?


I'm a huge Christmas person. I feel like the season and holiday are so full of traditions and meaning, I just love the whole thing! There are some traditions that I used to have as a kid that I want to keep alive for our babies, and some new ones. 


When we lived in Denton, we would always kick off the Christmas season with Wassail Fest in the old town square. The different stores along the square would make their version of wassail, and everyone could go around taste testing it. The best store won bragging rights for the next year. There was also a tree lighting ceremony, carolers, and horse drawn carriages. Since we don't live in Denton anymore, we like to make big pots of wassail whenever we have friends over during the holidays. 


Last year, Austen & I cut down our own Christmas tree in Utah. I was kind of giddy about the whole thing, to be honest. I kept thinking it was too small, until we got it home. We have vaulted ceilings that come to a 12' point in the middle, and that beautiful tree hit the ceiling at its highest point! Needless to say, we had to cut it down by a few feet. We agreed that cutting down our Christmas tree would be our new tradition. It was so sweet!! 



I also come from a very Polish family. One of the big Polish traditions is Wegilia, which is Christmas Eve. For me, just being able to celebrate with the family on Christmas Eve is one of my favorite things. My mom's family has a big Christmas Eve get together in Chicago that I completely love whenever we can make it to (which is not very often). 

Austen & I also always have a movie night watching It's a Wonderful Life before Christmas. Honest to goodness, I had never watched it all the way through until the year we got married! His mom went out the day after Christmas and bought us the movie so I could finally watch it. 


My momma also always makes cinnamon rolls for Christmas morning, which I love. I think we'll be spending Christmas at home this year (which is crazy, because all 3 years we've been in Las Vegas for Christmas, we've spent it somewhere else!) and I'm excited to make homemade cinnamon rolls for us. And to eat them on the ornament china set she gave us! (we both have a sort of obsession with cute dish/china sets...) 



So, I think that's some of my favorite traditions around Christmas time! I am beyond ready for the weather to cool down once and for all. It's still in the triple digits here, which is just plain miserable. And don't judge it, but I've been listening to Christmas music all summer long. It's my way of keeping sight at the end of the miserably hot tunnel, and being plain ole' cheery.

Brave Love Blog

4 comments:

  1. I am somewhat of a Grinch but I always decorate for Christmas. Your tree is lovely and the centerpiece on your table. I love it.

    #blogtemberchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christmas is one of my favorite times of year for traditions, too. Thanks for sharing about your traditions & Polish heritage! Love learning something new! I know it's early, but I hope you & yours have a very merry Christmas!
    Blessings,
    -Bess-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww! I love those traditions! I would love to cut down my own Christmas Tree! I don't know if I'll get to do that around here.... but I think I'll start a tradition of pumpkin patch hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet post! Love that your Christmas tree was too tall!

    ReplyDelete

I love all ya'lls comments! I will try to either respond to your comment via the post or in email to ((hopefully)) create a more personal conversation.

xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...