Tuesday, August 26, 2014

colorado family vaca

As I go back to work this week, I thought I would share a little about our last vaca of the summer with my husband's side of the family. I am so lucky to have such a great relationship with my in-laws, and really always have a great time with them! Spending it in Colorado (aka: where the weather is gorgeous and I feel 10x better!) was definitely a plus.

We drove out to Colorado Springs first for a quick visit, where essentially everyone met up to drive out to Crested Butte together. Austen's sister is a news reporter and weekend anchor there, so while the boys all went to a condo the night after everyone got in town, my mom-in-law and I went to see Maddie anchor, then go out for dinner together. Last time I saw Maddie at her work, she was at a teeny station in Sherman, Texas and it was the weekend after Austen & I got married. That was nearly four years ago...

The girls drove up the next day, and while the boys spent the afternoon mountain biking, Maddie and I took the dogs for a walk on the mountain. Crested Butte is so precious! We were right at the base of the lifts, and not far from their little town in the valley.

While the boys took to the hills the next morning, my mom-in-law, Maddie, and I went for a walk through main street. The one goal was to find the chocolate factory. They make a delicious mint truffle, ya'll. Seriously, so good. The town was adorable, and we scouted out somewhere for us to all eat later that night in celebration of my father-in-law's belated birthday.







Maddie's boyfriend had to leave a day early to go back to work, but that afternoon, our cousin drove in from north of Salt Lake City, Utah to hangout for a few days! It was so, so good to catch up with him. He had everyone doubled over in laughter, and at the same time, is one of the best listeners I know. We were all so glad he could make it!

One of the great things about Kris coming was that he drives a land cruiser, and us "kids" had plans for a backroads trip with it... Thank goodness, he was completely on board for it!

So the next morning, all six of us piled in and went on a little adventure up and around a mountain. It was gorgeous. One moment that stood out to me was when we were driving through a bunch of pine trees and Austen & I noted how good it smelt. Kris pulled over, cut off a piece of a branch and hung it from his rear view mirror calling it "natural air freshener". This pregnant desert girl was sure happy about it!





We had to leave later that day, and got stuck in a couple of different rain storms. One was so bad, Austen asked me to pull up the weather and see if there was a tornado nearby because you could barely see in front of your car, the rain was so thick. We made it home in one piece, though, and without having to pull over for me (thank goodness).

I'm also pretty convinced that I could live in Colorado and never complain. Gorgeous mountains, and perfect weather (in my cold-loving opinion). I cannot wait for Thanksgiving to see all of the family again, since we're all going to try to make it back to Texas to spend the holiday together. (plus, I'm hungry right now and really want some turkey, mashed potatoes, and green bean casserole with a  role or two on the side...)

2 comments:

I love all ya'lls comments! I will try to either respond to your comment via the post or in email to ((hopefully)) create a more personal conversation.

xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...