Slider

best school moments

Monday, July 7, 2014

July is my only full month off of school, and this morning, I was taking some time looking back at this list, and finally decided to publish it. I thought there were some that are too precious not to share! It's also a great way for me to look back at the positives instead of thinking how tough of a year it was.


Best moments of my first year with first grade:

- Ten weeks into the school year, I became a morning coffee drinker. Now, I cannot imagine mornings with our Breville You-Brew. Loveee.

- My kids gave me a ridiculous number of colored pictures. One told said that I'm kind... Kind Like Josh! That's the foundation that our school is a part of which teaches students kindness like a sweet middle schooler, Josh, who died suddenly and tragically. Precious note from my kiddo!

- I read The Giving Tree while we were studying plants, and one of my little guys started crying, but just wiped his eyes real quick so nobody else would notice. I had to choke back tears when I saw him. Melt my heart.

- Our AP made a comment during morning announcements of, "Summer is just around the corner!" and one of my little guys started looking around going, "Which corner? Where?!"

- All of the moments I'd say, "Find your pockets!" and, "Where are your pockets?" to remind them to sit down on their bottoms, or pockets.

- I told a little guy at the end of the year to walk, that he wasn't a bouncing ball.

- During reading week, I dressed up as Belle in her blue dress and apron. My kids told everyone all day long that I was Belle-before-the-yellow-dress. My girlfriend, Melyssa, was Snow White. However, her class said she wasn't because she didn't have puffy sleeves. Ya'll, we don't live in the '80s!

- I read Oh, The Places You'll Go! on the last day of school. I got choked up a few times, but had two hysterical firsties at the end of it. They were inconsolable. I guess I'll think twice about reading that book next year...

- Frozen. The last week of school, we'd take singing breaks whenever Frozen songs came on our iPad Disney radio. Sometimes, you just have to let them be 7 years old.

- During reading week, we had an author come in as a guest speaker for an assembly. She used to have dog sled teams and was telling a story about how her littlest dog got trapped in a break in the ice, and fell into the water. She couldn't get her out. The teachers were all a little teary, but then I noticed one of my little guys was crying. Same little guy who cried in The Giving Tree. Precious little peanut!

- "Mrs. Garrett, you do have kids. Lilly & Shiloh are your babies!"

While I miss my firsties, I am really soaking up summer vacation! I'm just not ready to go back to teaching, yet. ;)

3 comments:

  1. Though there are many long and trying days in the classroom, there are always little blessings and moments of perfection to enjoy with your kids. Like seeing the little boy wipe a tear away while reading "The Giving Tree" or talking about how coon hunting is not a great activity to do unless you do your homework first.... :) Some days I miss my kids so much, but I enjoy the days without them too. Enjoy the rest of your summer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so precious about the boy crying during the giving tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just stumbled across your little blog and I love it!

    It sounds like you had a great first year with first grade. :)

    Also, YOU QUILT?! That's amazing. That's something I've been wanting to do for a while, but we just don't have the room in our apartment right now for all the equipment. Hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete

I love all ya'lls comments! I will try to either respond to your comment via the post or in email to ((hopefully)) create a more personal conversation.

xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan