Wednesday, June 11, 2014

hello second grade

My first year of teaching is officially done.

Wow.


This year taught me so much more than I probably taught my students. I learned so many professional skills that I know I am going to take with me throughout the rest of my professional career(s). I learned a lot about how to be a good parent to our children's teachers someday. How to communicate in a way and timing that is effective and well received. I learned what it felt like to be completely exhausted and drained to the bone, and what it felt like to cry over things I couldn't change.

Overall, it was a really trying year. But I am thankful for it.


I completely moved out of my classroom on Thursday. What a bittersweet moment. I won't be returning to my school in the fall. No, I will be teaching second grade at the elementary school on the Air Force base next year. Blessing doesn't even begin to describe it.

I will be able to walk to work every day if I want. I will be just streets over from our house, teaching kids that I live in the same neighborhood as. That's important to me, because it's a community I know and love. They are all military kids, which I am so excited for. There will be new challenges, like deployments and long TDYs, unique family situations, and lots of movement, but I am excited for these hurdles. They're ones I'm familiar with.

I have wanted to teach on the Air Force base since I first saw an elementary school on Lackland AFB in San Antonio during Austen's basic training graduation. I was dying to teach at one when I saw they had one here at Nellis. I substitute taught there a lot while I finished up my degree, but accepted the job where I currently am before I even graduated since I had connections there. However, I am excited to be on base for the rest of our time that we spend here at Nellis AFB.

For now, I am so ready for 3 months of summer vaca. I want to do nothing but clean, quilt, and snuggle the boogs. Well, throw in some pool time in there, and I'll be a happy wife.

7 comments:

  1. CONGRATS ON YOUR FIRST YEAR!!

    WE DID IT!! Can you believe we have been teachers for a year, insane! I am so glad you fund a position that you will enjoy more and will be better suited for you. Enjoy your summer friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! I love that cup ... so cute! Cheers to having the summer off :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your first year of teaching! Enjoy your Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. CONGRATS!!! I remember finishing my first year of teaching. People kept saying their is nothing like your first class… and while I loved my kiddos, I just felt like I had survived! I loved teaching after my first year (which was really a half year). I also taught on a military base my first 1 1/2 of teaching and loved it!
    Thanks for stopping by the WYWW link up! I enjoy following your story :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Surviving the first year is always memorable!! I remember that feeling last year and was so thankful for summer vacation. Enjoy your summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl... I hear ya! Love that cup. I remember my first year as a teacher. SURVIVAL! Your new adventure sounds perfect. Keep us posted. Don't forget to link-up again tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. AHHHH! I'm about to finish my first year (on Friday) and I totally understand the emotions! Congrats on the new job, that will be so wonderful for you!!

    ReplyDelete

I love all ya'lls comments! I will try to either respond to your comment via the post or in email to ((hopefully)) create a more personal conversation.

xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...