Monday, February 10, 2014

prioritizing my life

Day 10: what you are learning in this season

I mentioned yesterday that while I was prioritizing my obligations and passions, I learned a lot about where those things fell on the list. What I thought would have ranked higher didn't. What I thought of as hobbies ended up meaning more to me than just that. While some things fell right where I knew they would.

1. My marriage. This is #1 to me, and we are working on bringing it into a trinity sense with our faith being more center focused ((I know some people might be shocked that my faith isn't #1... I wish it was right now ya'll, but I'm getting back to that point. Honesty is key, right? There's a whole heaping bunch of non-sugar-coated honesty right there for you. It's a work in progress, but at least it's being worked on now.)) Some of my best friends have had their marriages fall apart, and others are scrambling and praying to put theirs back together. It continually breaks my heart for them, because I can't imagine that type of heartbreak. Austen is my best friend and my soulmate, and I choose to love him every single day. Love is absolutely a choice.


2. Our family. Right now, this looks like Austen & I with Lilly and Shiloh. I might not have dance practices, baseball little leagues, or my babies' homework sprawled out across our dining room table every night, but that doesn't mean I don't have a family that I have obligations to. Snuggling Lilly & Shiloh means the world to me, and to them, so I make time to do so. My family will always be there, whether my job changes, my career changes, or whatever else in life isn't the same, they are.


3. My time. I don't mean this to sound selfish, but like I've said before ((here and here)) that if I don't take time out for myself, then I'm only going to continue burning out. I have focused much more this semester on coming home from work and doing what I enjoy. Quilting. Baking. Reading. Gardening. Snuggling Austen and the boogs. Whatever it might be, I have to make some me-time so that I can recharge.


4. My work. This ranked much lower on the list than I had originally thought. After so much frustration and tears, I finally got to the point where Austen was telling me over and over like a broken record that this wasn't worth the negative energy. I'm not paid enough to be this upset. Do you know what? He was completely right. So I changed my mindset on my job, and then kept finding articles to support my decision. I love what I do, and I love impacting kids' lives. However, at the end of the day, this is my job. I can't expect to save the world, and while I still hope I make a difference to those kids in some way, shape, or form, I'm going to exhaust myself down to nothing if I don't remember that this is still my job at the end of the day.


What I am learning in this season of life is that my priorities need to be set according to my beliefs. I had someone infer that I need to be spending more time at work. For me, this may or may not be what I retire doing, but I know I won't sacrifice the rest of my life for a job. Those 19 first graders probably won't look back in 20 years and say, "Wow, Mrs. Garrett changed my world," ((heck, I'll be glad if they remember my name in 20 years!)), but my own children will. My husband, our babies, our little family - they deserve my full attention.

If nothing else in this season, I'm learning how to put my work down, say, "No thank you," and continue on with the rest of my life outside of the classroom.

 Blog Everyday in February

1 comment:

  1. I love your priority list. I remember when I was student teaching, my cooperating teacher told me, "Teaching is your job, not your life." I say that to myself ALL the time, but it really helps keep things in check. We can love what we do, but it shouldn't consume our lives. There are far more important things higher up on the list that will still need to be there long after we're done teaching.

    Mallory
    Sprinkles for the Teacher

    ReplyDelete

I love all ya'lls comments! I will try to either respond to your comment via the post or in email to ((hopefully)) create a more personal conversation.

xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...