Friday, February 21, 2014

our postcard home

Day 21: the meaning of home

Home means so many things to so many people, and I think to everyone, it means something a little bit different. If anyone has struggled with what "home" feels and looks like, it'd be me.

It's no new news that I had a really hard time adjusting to our house on base and feeling like it was home for my heart. Austen was my home, and living with him meant this was home, but the place just didn't always feel the way I wanted it to.

In efforts to embrace all the wild west had to offer, we started skiing in Southern Utah. Last season, we started renting a little condo up there, and have been in love with it ever since. I used to ask Austen how somewhere we just visited could feel like home, and he agreed. Having our own little place to stay at up there has just solidified Utah as our "weekend home".

Since moving back in this ski season, and deciding to keep it year round, we have done lots more in terms of decorating. Austen & I see this as our little ski resort escape, and wanted to encompass that with art around the condo that reflected the outdoorsy and winter sport nature of Brian Head. We also have lots of windows and a big sliding glass door that leads out to a balcony, with the best view of the whole complex at the resort's main lift and wanted to keep it aligned with that in mind.




We really try to keep the interior as connected to the outdoors as possible. When you're surrounded by aspens and pine trees, with snow piled high against blue skies, you can't help but incorporate those colors into your decorating pieces.




Long walks in the bitter cold. Lilly & Shy love their daily walks with their daddy. Our puggle in a winter coat ((be still my heart!)). Our little monster who tucks her butt under and runs as fast as her little legs will take her once her toes touch snow. And the most beautiful mountain tops to enjoy it all in.

No, we probably never would have chosen to move out to Las Vegas for 3+ years and make it home, but we are so blessed to have two homes here. One in the hot desert, close to grocery stores that sell organic foods and every store imaginable, and one in a lovely ski resort, where we can enjoy 4 seasons and winter sports.

Home is what you make of it, where you make it, and most important, with whom you make it.

We just happen to be really blessed to have a weekend home in a little postcard town.

 Blog Everyday in February

2 comments:

  1. Gosh that last photo is breath taking! I wish on that walk. You are so blessed to have this little ski home that you can re connect, relax and unwind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so beautiful and so neat that you have a place to get away! I would love to learn to ski but I am the most uncoordinated person on the planet. I would enjoy visiting a ski resort anyway though! Chris and I really want to visit somewhere out your way! Maybe we will actually get around to it!

    ReplyDelete

I love all ya'lls comments! I will try to either respond to your comment via the post or in email to ((hopefully)) create a more personal conversation.

xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...