Slider

bilingual book review

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

I wish I could give a review on an adult book, a Bible study, or something else that is of some importance. Nope. Not going to happen today. You're getting a review on a children's book.

I talked in our fears post about how we're hoping to grow our family sometime in the near future. My family is Polish, as I'm just under 1/2. I have been learning Polish slowly but surely, as one of the things we really want to give to our children is the gift of bilingualism. Sure, it would make sense to teach them Spanish or even French and German. Those just don't have the pull for me, and since we're so newly "American" in my mom's family, I feel like learning Polish has a more personal connection to me. I'm much more enthusiastic to fluently learn it since there's a reason to.

With wanting to extend our family, I thought a sweet little Polish children's book would be a sweet addition to our family library ((side note - I've been obsessed with growing our library at home for years, so this is nothing new for me. I love books.)). Honestly, it's precious. All black, white, and grey pictures are one of my favorite styles of illustrations in children's books (("kittens first full moon" is like this too, fyi)).

Minutka: the bilingual dog and friends: One of the cutest Polish-English children books probably ever written and illustrated.


The bad side: It's a little jumpy as it jumps from friend to friend and doesn't hold a detailed plot. It's also kind of little physically, at only 6 1/2 x 6 1/2".

The good side: It has the words both in Polish and English on every page, even though it isn't very detailed. But I feel like a bilingual book won't be really detailed as they're trying to not lose anything in translation. It's also a children's book. Let's be honest, there are much more dull children's books in one language.

Overall, I would recommend it! While it's probably not something everyone would have ((I mean, who speaks Polish? If you do, holler!!)) I think it's really precious for our future babies.

 Blog Everyday in February

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of bilingual books! I'm a high school Spanish teacher and am doing the same with my 2 year old daughter with books in Spanish since I'm the only one in our household that speaks Spanish. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love all ya'lls comments! I will try to either respond to your comment via the post or in email to ((hopefully)) create a more personal conversation.

xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan