Slider

eating organic, the basics

Monday, January 13, 2014


Last summer, Austen & I made the switch to eating all organically. We also tried vegan for about a month, but after research, learned that about 20% of animal products every week doesn't have a significant difference over 0%. Our animal product now only includes meats and cheeses; we don't drink cow's milk or eat yogurt either.

Austen wanted to ditch our normal food and buy organic after a TDY ((temporary deployment)) where he watched Food Inc. Honestly ya'll, I was hesitant but said okay. I thought it would be a phase and he'd snap out of it quickly. The first time we went to a local Whole Foods, I think I cringed the entire time at prices. Yes, organic food is expensive. However, it doesn't have to break your budget.

I didn't watch Food Inc. until recently. I was on the organic bandwagon because of the difference I saw in my own body. I immediately noticed the difference in the way it tastes. Flavors of organic foods, particularly produce, are so much more vibrant. Everything tastes better! After a week or two, we noticed the change in weight. In the past 6 months, the only change in our diets has been organic and Austen has lost almost 15lbs while I've lost 5-8lbs. I had more energy ((especially when we went vegan for a few weeks)), my skin cleared up, and I all around looked and felt healthier.

Ya'll, let me hit that again: I cook the exact same recipes as before. The only thing I do differently is use organic ingredients. I don't use low fat or nonfat. I don't use skim milk. I use organic almond milk in substitution for any milk ingredients, and everything else is the same, just organic. I lost weight simply by changing my body from non-organic to organic. Now I'm no doctor, but from everything I've seen and read online, this is not abnormal!

If you don't feel like dedicating the time to watch Food Inc., here's a 2 1/2 minute video of a science project a 3rd grader did on growing sweet potatoes.



"Bud nip goes through the entire vegetable, so washing it doesn't make a difference. Bud nip also causes tumors. With all of these chemicals, no wonder so many people are getting cancer these days."

Don't believe her on the cancer part? Here's the research to back her theory up: ""The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) considers 60% of herbicides, 90% of fungicides, and 30 percent of insecticides potentially cancer-causing." source

When I shared this video on my facebook, I got responses from friends who I told the benefits we've seen, and they said, "Wow, that's great! But isn't it crazy expensive?" I had organic eating friends, both with families and without, who jumped on and explained that they stay within the same budget eating organic as they had before the switch. It's true. Your food might be more expensive. I'll go into detail later on how we save some costs when we go shopping, that hopefully, you can try.

Want the proof and hard facts? Check out these sources:


Organics has lots of benefits to it. I'll have some more posts about reasons why we decided to be organic for good, as well as ways to budget while buying organics. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all ya'lls comments! I will try to either respond to your comment via the post or in email to ((hopefully)) create a more personal conversation.

xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan