Slider

three years

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Oh, how time flies! That's all I've been able to think for the past week. It feels like yesterday that we got engaged, and then hurriedly organized a wedding. Then again, I felt like we were babies, having no idea what we were actually getting ourselves into. As if we're sooo much more grown up now (ha!). If you want to peek back at how he proposed, you can read all those fresh-in-my-mind details from how he proposed (most romantic day & night, of my life!), and then our wedding!


The past two years, we've gone somewhere for our anniversary. For our first, we camped outside of REI for their garage sale, and then headed up to Mt. Charleston where Austen got us a cabin for the night. Last year, we went camping in Brian Head, Utah in freezing temperatures, but it was so beautiful and worth it (here & here)!

When it came to finding him an anniversary gift, I was reminded again how hard he is to shop for. I'm talking frustratingly hard to shop for! I wanted to find something meaningful, so when Hearth Magazine had an instagram giveaway this summer, I entered to win a salt spoon set from Board & Bread. And holy smokes, I actually won! I knew that would make such a cute anniversary gift for the hubs, but then thought about taking it one step further. Emily and I emailed back and forth, and came up with a great gift to pair with that. A custom serving board in the same curly maple wood that the spoon was made of.

I cannot tell you how many times I told Austen how excited I was to give him his gift! I truly believe that giving is better than receiving. It's also loads of fun when surprising your husband is so hard to do. He never even looked to find where I'd hidden his gift, nor tried to snoop online to find out what it was. He did guess, but always a violin (although he doesn't play, he wants to teach himself how to play the fiddle). I gave it to him on Sunday afternoon, and he loves it! He said it was very thoughtful and was so excited to break it in, that he served dinner on it.  I'm sure it'll make an appearance in a couple of weeks at our Thanksgiving dinner we're hosting, too.


For dinner, we decided to stay at home. He made us steaks and scallops, asparagus, and a white wine lemon butter sauce while I made mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie. We opened up a bottle of Bernardo Winery's burgundy wine from our trip there two summers ago. Mm mmm...


Oh,  and he did good for me, too. He bought me a Michael Kors purse I'd had my eye on. Handbags are my one weakness. :) We ended our evening by a fire outside as the temperatures dropped from the 80s into the 60s. I love having an anniversary in autumn, ya'll.

I know we haven't been married all that long, but there's a few things I think we've learned in the 3 years we've been husband & wife. I would say spending time together is #1. You can't grow closer together if you aren't together. I also think openly communicating with each other is vital. When we are bugging each other, we say so! How can I learn what bothers my husband if he doesn't tell me, and vice versa? I also think compromise is important to remember, because marriage is about "us", not just "me" or "him".

Happy anniversary to my husband, and my best friend. October 28 truly was the happiest day of my life. I am so blessed to be your wife and look forward to growing old together, just like you told me on the day you proposed (3 years and 5 days ago). I love you more than anything! You are the most wonderful husband I could ever have dreamed of, and I know you are going to make the sweetest daddy to our babies, just as you are to our fur babies right now. 

xoxo

- linking up with Blair from wild & precious

2 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! Your a beautiful couple :)

    Jessica

    http://mybeautifulli.blogspot.com/2013/10/are-christians-allowed-to-listen-to.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dinner looks amazing!
    Congrats to you guys!
    Teressa @ www.teressajane.com

    ReplyDelete

I love all ya'lls comments! I will try to either respond to your comment via the post or in email to ((hopefully)) create a more personal conversation.

xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan