Slider

teacher talk: who i am

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

I'm linking up today with Nicole from bloom and Jamie from southern simplicity for teacher talk :) Here's a little bit about myself. 

I'm Katie Garrett, and I'm married to my honey, Austen. We have two fur babies, Lilly Mae & Shiloh Anne. He's in the U.S. Air Force, so while we're from Texas, we're living in Las Vegas. The best part about Vegas isn't the city, but its proximity to other places! We spend our weekends during ski season in Brian Head, Utah, enjoying a little condo with a wood burning stove and beautiful snowy mountains. We also make trips to California and Colorado a couple of times a year, too.


I'm a first year, first grade teacher and loving it! We had meet-the-teacher day on Friday and our first day of school that following Monday. They are so precious, I just love them. As of right now, our first grade team is stacked. We have seven teachers (including myself), each with an average of 20 students per class. I currently have 23 of my own. At least they're little and we can squeeze lots of first graders into a room easier than other grades can, since we double up on classes for some subjects (like science) each week ;)


I have been asked so many times, why teaching? I make very little each paycheck and work so many hours not "on the clock". Here's why: I have friends who gripe and complain every Monday about going back to work. My only complaint would be a lack of sleep come Monday morning (I kind of love sleeping)! I wanted a job that didn't just pay the bills, but was something I was passionate about and thoroughly enjoyed doing. I don't sit at a desk and enter in numbers, or make phone calls, or something blah. I change lives. Those 23 little babies come into my classroom five days a week and need me. My impact on them can shape the next twelve years they're in school for, and what career they choose after that. That's huge. I know what I do makes a difference, and I love my sweet little firsties. 


Well, that's a little bit about me and why I love teaching! If you're visiting from the teacher talk, welcome! I just wanted to thank Nicole and Jamie for starting this link up. I am so excited to be encouraged by other teachers across the map. 

 

10 comments:

  1. They say people who were destined to teach aren't in it for the $$$...they're in it for the outcome on their students' lives and I couldn't agree more! Looking forward to reading more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If I was in it for the money, well, I wouldn't be in teaching ;)

      Delete
  2. So glad you linked up! I LOVE FIRST GRADE and sooo wish I was teaching it this year (third grade is pretty awesome too though!) You are so right..those babies do need us : ) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those sweet babies, sure do love them! Even on days when they're exhausting, haha!!

      Delete
  3. I'm a new reader via Teacher Talk- I completely agree- those kids need you! You may be their only source of love and guidance, which to me, makes it all worth it! Can't wait to hear more about your teaching experience!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can tell pretty quickly which ones are needing you as their primary source of love and guidance, can't you?! We just finished day 3 and I already know which ones need that little extra lovin'.

      Delete
  4. I think teaching is one of those professions that you will always feel so much purpose towards! Those sweet babies will always need love!! So glad you are linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for hosting the link up! Those sweet babies always need lots of love. I had a few come up today saying they just needed a little love. Bless my heart.

      Delete
  5. YAY! I'm so glad to see that you linked up to Teacher Talk! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I love it! The button you designed is so so cute. I'm looking forward to getting more into the school year, and then getting a full blog makeover by you :)

      Delete

I love all ya'lls comments! I will try to either respond to your comment via the post or in email to ((hopefully)) create a more personal conversation.

xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan