Slider

meet the teacher

Monday, August 12, 2013


The Monday of the week I go back to work - WHAT?! Where did summer go, does anyone else feel like we were just getting out of school last week?! Well, time to put my big girl panties on and get everything ready for my classroom and all sorts of training that'll probably turn my brain to mush.

Before I go back to work, I'm linking up with Blog Hoppin' for their week of teacher themed linky posts. Here's 10 things about me (that I hope to not bore ya'll with):

1. I am a first year, first grade teacher here in Las Vegas. I'm so so excited about it, I love my little firsties. For those who didn't know already, I had first grade for the past 3 semesters of practicum and student teaching with UNLV. They are definitely my comfort zone.

2. The hubs & I are celebrating our 3 year wedding anniversary this autumn, and I am so excited! Oh, and the random part of this is that he & I had only known each other and been dating for 15 months when we got married. When you know, you know.

3. I have lived in four states. I was born in central California, raised outside of St. Louis, Missouri, planted roots in North Texas, and then the Air Force brought us out to Las Vegas. Out of all the states I've visited, they are majority all Southern and Western states.

4. Lilly Mae & Shiloh Anne are our fur babies. I love squishing them.

5. I am an old soul. I have been sewing by hand since early elementary school, was given sewing machine and piano lessons in middle school, and tried teaching myself how to crochet and knit. I took up knitting again last autumn and have recently been working on a quilt.

6. Speaking of pianos, we have an antique player piano. Watching people be mesmerized and partially freaked out at the piano playing itself is amusing. I also love going through the scrolls we have, playing various ones. My current favorite is, "Everything is Peaches Down in Georgia". I love dancing around the family room to it, and I can just picture our kids dancing around to the piano music.

7. I am just under half Polish and love Polish pottery. I know odd words in Polish and only really know how to make houska bread. I found a recipe for pierogis and am determined to try making those in the next week or so. Yum yum!

8. My classroom "theme" is polka dots and sea foam. Polka dots are my favorite pattern and sea foam is my new favorite accent color right now. Our office is also accented in turquoise, but nothing else so I'm excited to pull this relaxing color into my classroom decor.

9. I really want to be a horse owner, and Austen has promised me one in Texas. The catch? I've never owned a horse or grown up around them. I have only really ridden (and trail rides don't count, according to real horse owners) once. I just love them, and cannot wait to have our own horses. So much so that I have a cast iron horse styled dinner bell next to our front door.

10. I have never really doubted my career field, but the one time I felt a surge of pride to be a teacher was the Sandy Hook elementary school shooting last winter. I cried over those first grade babies and my husband turned off the t.v. before I could watch too much. People finally realized the depths of a teacher's heart and their role as more than crowd control or teaching a child to read. I bought a print designed to raise money for a family fund after the incident. It has 6 feathers to represent each of the 6 teachers and administrators who lost their lives. It hangs in our hallway so we see it every day, many times a day.


Well, there's 10 things about me, ya'll! Now it's back to making piles of all of my classroom materials so I'm ready for move-in day!

-- I'm linking up with blog hoppin' for let's talk about me monday

10 comments:

  1. My fiance is also in the Air Force - takes some special people to move all around with them! :) I used to teach first & since I moved, will be teaching 2nd this year. Love your blog! Good luck with year one!

    Mallory
    Sprinkles for the Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Go Air Force, haha :) How long did you teach first for?

      Delete
  2. Look at us military girls...my boyfriend is also in the Air Force (looking to separate pretty soon)! I luckily haven't had to move (yet) but I agree, it takes a strong girl to move all the time with them. I hope you have a wonderful first year! Just remember, that things move pretty quickly and to breathe. First years are always stressful but just keep in mind there's always tomorrow...a new day to start over ;) Good luck in 1st grade!

    Kelly
    Sliding Into Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's such good advice, and I'll definitely keep that in mind. I'm interested to see how the first week goes as it'll be an adjustment for all of us. And yay for us Air Force girls! :)

      Delete
  3. hey doll! I still cannot respond to you via email since you are no reply blogger :(

    BUTTTT as far as advice, MAKE LISTS!!!!! To do lists/bring in from home lists. Get what YOU HAVE TO DO done first There will ALWAYS ALWAYS be things to do, but get done what is most important. Think of all the procedures you need to teach (bathroom, lining up, getting quiet, hallway etc) and write down EVERYTHING you want them to know about that procedure so when you are teaching it you do not forget.

    Remember they can help you with a lot of things when they start. (first graders will be a little bit harder bc they are so young, but they CAN HELP!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fixed it, YAY! haha Thanks for your help :) I love lists, so this should get fun ;)

      Delete
  4. I am loving your blog! I am a first year teacher teaching 7th grade. I can relate to you on the old soul. I am an old soul and have an old fashioned frame of mind. Not sure where I got it from, as my parents are not this way. I am glad I found your blog! I am your newest follower!

    -Jessie
    Lil Bit Country In the Classroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for following!! I have an old fashioned frame of mind as well, but between my husband being in the Air Force, the way I grew up in Missouri, and then moving to the South, I'm convinced that's where mine came from. Good luck with your first year in 7th grade!

      Delete
  5. Love the blog, I'm your newest follower. I think I am a bit of an old soul as well. I love quilts, living on a farm, canning and gardening...all the old-fashioned stuff!

    karen
    The 85 Mile Commute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following! I'm quilting right now, we want to buy a farm, my husband loves gardening, and I've attempted canning (but not to any avail).

      Delete

I love all ya'lls comments! I will try to either respond to your comment via the post or in email to ((hopefully)) create a more personal conversation.

xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan