Slider

guest post by 1canoe2

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

I love pinterest, especially when you're looking for something unique and fun. I searched "texas" one afternoon and I stumbled upon this really adorable print of the Texas state, with words etched in saying, "the stars at night are big and bright". I linked to it's source on etsy, and found 1canoe2. A couple of months later, I bought the letterpress print for myself for Christmas and it's been lovingly moved from our bedroom to our family room. I've loved the work the girls at 1canoe2 do, and having exchanged messages a few times, knew a guest post with them would be lovely! So without further ado, here are the ladies at 1canoe2:

Q: What inspired ya’ll to start your letterpress, and why the name “1canoe2”?

A: Beth and I always talked about running some sort of business where we could sell our creations. We fell into letterpress after Beth's husband bought her a little tabletop press before they got married. Our name 1canoe2 comes from years of dreaming up big ideas around a campfire and floating down a spring-fed Missouri river in a canoe. Two girls, one canoe. One canoe, two - although now there are three of us! We like canoes. There are some really great spring-fed rivers here in Missouri, and there might not be a better way to spend a hot summer day than floating down a nice cold river. 


Q: One of the things that really caught my attention when I stumbled across ya’ll on pinterest is that you make your stationary on an old-fashioned letterpress. How did ya’ll start using it? Has it been worthwhile to do your work the old-fashioned way, or do you wish it there was an easier way?

Once Beth received the tabletop press from her husband, we played around with printing our own designs. After spending hours and hours printing a run of about 300 calendars by hand we decided that maybe we'd look for a bigger, motor-operated press. We found a big Chandler and Price press, brought it home, and never looked back. We now own three presses, which we run out of our barn studio. Printing the old-fashioned way is so appealing because at the end you have this beautifully letterpressed piece that is the result of a labor of love – cutting the paper to size, printing each of the colors one by one, signing the print, and then packaging it for its future home!


Q: You’ve grown quite a bit from your small barn in Missouri’s countryside! From being displayed in stores across the country, to recently having ya’lls Recipe Binder sold in Anthropologie in Rockefeller Center (NY), all sorts of events nation wide, to being featured on the Today Show. What is one piece of advice you could give to small business owners trying to grow their own businesses?

A: Keep at it and stay true to yourself. Everything you do, every piece of art/product you create, every piece of packaging, every part of your website or blog, and anything else related to your business should be consistent with who you are as an artist/business.

Q: If each of you could pick one of your favorite things about 1canoe2, what would it be?


A: Doing what we love, everyday, and getting to work together as a team.


Q: My hubs & I absolutely love our Texas state print ya’ll made, what would be each of ya’lls favorite pieces (if you can pick just one!)?

A: I really like our "People In Your Neighborhood" series. The idea behind these came from a project that I taught in my elementary art classroom last year when I was still teaching. It was fun to develop these characters and see them come to life through letterpress. - Carrie
 

A: My number one favorite will always be the recipe card box because I thought of the idea and immediately loved it once we had it all done. Our recipe box holds a special place in my heart. - Beth



A huge thanks, again, to Beth, Carrie, and Karen for the guest post!! I really appreciate it, ladies :)


How to find 1canoe2:

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful interview, ladies! We love your work and are happy to be in the same state!

    Keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete

I love all ya'lls comments! I will try to either respond to your comment via the post or in email to ((hopefully)) create a more personal conversation.

xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan